Students enter college and universities with a lot of dreams and aspirations. One minor offense or misconduct can hamper the future of such students. One such offense is a violation of Title IX. Title IX is nothing but a federal civil rights law that prohibits any kind of sex-based discrimination and sexual assault or sexual harassment in educational programs of institutions that receive federal funding. Title IX law is applicable to all the members of the university or college irrespective of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or gender expression. A student facing violation charges for Title IX can have negative consequences like suspension or expulsion from the course, a black mark in the transcripts, etc. This is the reason I should get in touch with an education lawyer near me.
Title IX can change a student’s life in the following ways:-
- Expulsion: Any violation of Title IX laws can lead to the expulsion of the student. In case of an expulsion, the student is separated from the university permanently. This can ruin the future of the student.
- Disciplinary suspension: Under a sanction like disciplinary suspension the student is removed from the university temporarily for a specified time. Suspension means the student cannot attend any classes or participate in co-curricular activities on or off campus, or have access to any other infrastructural facilities like the field, computer labs, etc.
- Disciplinary probation: The disciplinary probation sanction bars the student from hosting any gatherings or parties at the university. It also prohibits the student from holding elective or appointed office in any college organization or club during the probation period. The probation term can be for a specific period of time or can be indefinite.
- Fines: The accused student can also be asked to pay a certain amount of fine to the college or may be imposed with a work penalty.
- Restitution: As recompensation or compensation, a student is entitled to pay restitution in the form of money to the university or to the individual who has suffered a loss due to your violation.
Title IX charges are quite serious and many students do not understand the severity of them till they are charged with them. Most Title IX disciplinary hearings happen within the institute and local law enforcement is not made a part of it till the victim decides to reach out. This is the reason why in case you are accused of violating Title IX laws you must immediately hire a reputed Title IX defense lawyer to guide you through the legal proceeding and prepare the documents and other paperwork for a favorable outcome of your case.